Thursday, June 19, 2014

Loot Crate

Loot Crate

So I signed up for Loot Crate about a month ago, and with my second delivery a few days away from arriving I thought I would introduce you to it and also do a little unboxing post on May's "Adventure Crate."



First, what is Loot Crate? Well it's basically like one of those fruit of the month things, where you pay for a monthly subscription and every month they send you a box with a random selection of fruit. The difference being that instead of juicy nutritious fruit you get a selection of awesome Geek & Gamer items ranging from T-Shirts to collectable figures to CDs.

I was suckered in by watching one of their unboxing videos for the latest crate that had arrived at that time. Watch below, beware though the Walrus is difficult to resist!


Before I do my Unboxing schtick, I wanted to firstly give you my impressions thus far on the idea, company and product as a whole.

I was apprehensive at first, I went in for a 3 month subscription so that I could get a few months under my belt before either diving in or bailing out. The website, the customer service is all top notch which encouraged me further and from the looks of their Facebook page there are a lot of happy customers.

I was aware that I might end up with a load of stuff I didn't like/want, but one of the things I really liked was the idea of having random fun geek themed gifts being chosen for me so that wasn't an issue. Also I did think at first perhaps I wouldn't get value for money, they claim that the average value of the contents in each box is around $40 and having seen their past crates and my own crate I would have to agree.

All in all, after just one month I am sold.

So onto May's "Adventure Crate"

May's Loot Crate "Adventure"
Opening of May's Loot Crate
Item 1 - T-Shirt - Rating 10/10



Love the design, fitted great, and even though I've never been a big Zelda person I just really love the design of the t-shirt (when you sign up you are asked to pick a T-Shirt size). Considering I would probably happily spend $10-$15 on the t-shirt alone, this item made the box for me the second I opened it up.

Item 2 - Stickers and Temp Tattoos - Rating 2/10

I would have given these 1 out of 10, except that the artwork for the center stick collection is pretty damn good. Maybe other people would love this, but I'm 26 and I grew out of stickers and temp tattoos when I was like...8? Anyway, yeah this is also linked to some youtubers but I couldn't care less about youtube stars (other than JonTron...)

Item 3 - Adventure Time Blind Box Tin - Rating 7/10


Okay I confess, I fucking LOVE Adventure Time. It's beautifully created, the stories are funny, interesting and adult without ever being inappropriate for kids. If this show is still on air when I have kids that are old enough to watch T.V I will be happy for them to watch this and happy to buy them any of the overpriced toys they want. If you haven't watched it, do so now.

Seriously, stop reading this and go watch it. You can see it on T.V, Netflix (only the first 2 seasons) or visit Just Anime Dubbed.

Anyway, there are different tins you can get, and inside you get one random figure from the collection. I got Ice King which I was pretty happy with. I would have given this an 8/10, but the model quality of the mini fig inside was a bit meh on the shoulder. As a side note, for some reason my fiancée, who is not geeky at all, kind of loves Adventure Time as well and really dug the Tin, not enough to let me go and buy more, but enough that she wanted to steal it from me.



Item 4 - Minecraft Blind Bag Keyring - Rating 6/10


I've never played Minecraft, I played Terraria which is sort of a 2D copy of the game, but not Minecraft. So this one wasn't something I was ecstatic about. It was another Blind Bag (this seems like a popular gimmick at the moment) and I was pretty happy with the Skeleton I got, this time I relented and gave it to my fiancée who for some reason really liked it. I gave this one 6 out of 10 rather than 5 because she liked it and thus uses it, otherwise it would probably not see any use. Still though, I'm happy it was a part of the crate.

Item 5 - Friend Zone Soundtrack - Unrated

Friend Zone Soundtrack
Apparently, The Friend Zone is a youtube show. Never seen it, but I might give it a watch out of curiosity at some point. The soundtrack is unrated because I haven't bothered to listen to it, but that's what I'm liked with most CDs I get, so it's not a reflection on this particular one. I do have to say though that I like the idea of giving us geek flavoured music, so I'm going to fuck my rating system completely up and say this gets a Thumbs Up from me.

Final Item 6 - Zelda Bottle Opener Keyring - 8/10

As I said before, not a huge Zelda gamer, but I love this. Nicely made, love the concept and the design. This is already a firm addition to my key-chain.


So all in all, I was really happy with my Crate. You also get a little badge commemorating the theme of the crate, which is pretty cute and I will be hanging onto it. In addition to the badge there is a link, which I couldn't find in the box but found on one of the youtube review videos, to this month's digital magazine. Apparently this was the first month they didn't provide a hard copy. It has articles on the items and themes in that month's Loot Crate. It's nicely made and as this is in the same vein as a lot of the design work I do for my job, I appreciate the effort that went into it. If you want to have a read, click on the link below:

If you like the idea of Loot Crate and you want to sign up, use the link below and you'll be able to sign up and also give me a cool little discount on my next subscription! Stay tuned for June's Loot Crate which should be arriving very soon, the theme this time is Transform!

No comments:

Post a Comment