Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Resin Casting - A Beginner's First Go


I've been toying around with the idea of casting for a while, I've had a couple of friends, former customers and the odd employee who had done some casting, but I had always been put off by it because it looked so complicated. However last month I finally bit the bullet and gave it a go.


The first mountain I had to climb was, "What the God Damn Hell do I have to buy???" I contacted one of my mates back in London (Thanks Roy!), who had cast a few things for me and he advised me to go with Alumilite. So I headed over to Amazon and picked up the starter kit.

Starter Resin Casting Kit

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Casting-Kit-Alumilite-Corp/dp/B00575YBDA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1403033289&sr=8-7&keywords=alumilite



It gives you everything you need to start casting, along with instructions for one part and two part molds. So far I've only tried one part casting, but it has been an absolute breeze! The rubber mix, which you use to make the molds doesn't make a lot of a molds, it will probably be the thing you replace the most, but the resin has lasted a fair amount.

I've really enjoyed using this kit and it's saved me a ton already as it's helped prevent me from having to buy tons of the GW Bastion Upgrade kits which I need for my Ice World Terrain Project. 


 

As you can see above, the results are impressive, the copy is 99% perfect and the original survives the molding process. Tomorrow I'll be putting up a step by step guide on one part casting, so if you are interested, check out the blog tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment