Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hobby Projects for 2014 - Part 1

Pinky: Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!
Okay so that's not quite my hobby project for this new year, but i suppose in some ways it's close.
I have 8 main projects that I want to get done this year, I'm not sure how crazy this is as I've never set myself hobby goals before, but here we go anyway.

 1) Run an Apocalypse Game

Sounds simple enough I suppose, but it's a tad more complicated that just running the game. As a former GW manager I have certain expectations & standards (although you might think otherwise) for how large scale games go and my one experience so far here was pretty ... well meh. I won't bother going into why, but lets just say that I don't want to take part, just simply run it, using probably my own scenery and my own standards for counts as models (I'm looking at you person who proxied the $1500 resin Forgeworld fortress with some random shit looking grey foam) as well as rules issues and balancing.

2) Actually Prepare for my Dark Heresy Games and slowly build up a living 'Sector' in the 40k galaxy
I have my first DH session of the year coming up on Tuesday and I'm still not prepared, so I need to get a move on if I'm going to hold this one up, but basically for the last 6 or so sessions I've turned up with a few ideas and then winged it. This has worked okay, but I know I can do better for my players.

Also the idea of forming a 'living' sector really turns me on Hobby wise. The idea of holding an apocalypse game on a planet one week and the next week have my DH group visit the aftermath is pretty awesome and having my DH group set off the spark that kicks off a 40k Campaign really gives me a serious Hobby boner.

3) Buy / Build a Hobby Table

Above is the gaming table of my dreams, it's produced by Geek Chic (www.geekchichq.com), unfortunately it's like $15,000 and I'm fairly sure my fiancee would remove not only my balls, but also my hands if I bought it.

So I need to find something to place my Realm of Battle tiles on, I know someone who has the ability to build me something pretty awesome, but I'm not sure if he has the time. So perhaps I need to look into crap plastic folding tables for the time being. I ideally want to get something workable by the end of February.

4) Paint an Actual Army!

Despite owning a hobby shop's worth of GW product, I do not own a single fully painted army. I know, I know, shock and horror. So I plan to rectify that, which I think with the help of my new Airbrush will be easier than I fear. First up on the painting table will most likely be my Tyranids.



That is the first half of my Hobby Projects for the New Year, I'll post tomorrow with the other half, but in the mean time why don't you tell me what projects you have planned or what projects you've been toying with the idea for.

3 comments:

  1. Man those are some great goals! One of mine being the same :) the games table is a must and I agree it's a beauty. I just bought lumber yesterday. Not only a table though, a whole warhammer dungeon. I am painting the room now as well as designing a new desk and cabinets. You know somewhere to put all this stuff ;P
    Building a new PC would be too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not sure exactly how realistic my goals are, but I hope that I'll be able to get through them.

      Delete