Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Savage Orc Horde


As I mentioned in my last post one of the armies I've brought over with me is my Orc and Goblin army. It's the least built army I have here in the states and thus the one I'm spending the most time on.

I first started this army when the latest army book was released with all the lovely Savage Orc models, hence my inclusion of a huge horde block of 40 of these guys.

I've pretty much finished building this unit, but the two things that are slowing me down is firstly the unit filler (more on that another time) and secondly the resin bases I bought for this army.

ForgeCraft Highland Crag Resin Bases

I wasn't crazy enough to buy goblin sized bases, but I did indulge in a hefty number of bases in all the different sizes available.

Anyway, the reason they're slowing me down is due to the fact that ranking up fantasy models is always a pain. Adding in bases that require you to drill into the leg of an Orc, then drill into the base and still have to make sure they rank up is even more of a challenge. (For me at the very least)

So here is a photo of my current progress, minus the unit filler which takes up 8 boys worth of space.

Savage Orcs

As you can see I'm just under half way done, I don't think it'll take more than an hour or so to finish the job, but I want to get my unit filler finished so that I can build the rest of the unit around them.

Savage Orcs

They're really lovely models, not particularly posable, but the details and weapon options are great. I went with double hand weapons as their 6+ ward in my mind makes shields a waste of points and I'd much rather them in combat smashing face then shooting. (For me orc shooting is about as useful as tits on a fish). I always give my unit champions a different weapon than the rest of the unit, hence the spear. It's an aesthetic choice rather than a functional one of course, but I always think it helps to highlight him from the other boys.

Savage Orc Big Stabba

I've also thrown in the big ass battering ram spear (it's real name has escaped me) because I think it's a cool and useful choice, plus it looks awesome as hell.

I'm pretty excited about painting this unit up. It's going to house a few heroes and lords, probably a BSB (which I'm working on converting up) Wazzag and a savage orc shaman with the shrunken head to change that +6 ward to a 5+ one.

No comments:

Post a Comment